Clean Energy Trust is a nonprofit that supports early-stage cleantech entrepreneurs with direct investment, venture development services, and access to its broad network and ecosystem partners. Clean Energy Trust currently invests in companies through its revolving, evergreen fund, that is backed by philanthropic capital. This fund reinvests its investment proceeds in new companies rather than returning such proceeds to the capital providers.
Clean Energy Trust is also developing a new investment model for funding cleantech startups. The new fund is a hybrid model that blends philanthropic capital with private, returns-oriented capital.This innovative design enables Clean Energy Trust to meet the risk-return requirements of investors in ways that traditional venture capital cannot.
Clean Energy Trust is seeking a Senior Analyst to support the operations of the current fund, as well as the development of the new fund. The Senior Analyst has a unique opportunity to be deeply involved in the design and launch of this new investment fund while contributing to the overall goals of a mission-driven organization.
The expected start date is mid June – mid July.
- Support Clean Energy Trust’s ongoing investment, deal sourcing, and due diligence process
- Assess the market opportunity and feasibility of new ventures
- Actively source new investment opportunities
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to research and analyze new ventures
- Draft investment memos on prospective investment opportunities
- Articulate well-reasoned, objective, fact-based analyses and points of view on investment opportunities
- Support Clean Energy Trust’s fund operations, fundraising, and portfolio reporting
- Maintain fund performance modeling, including tracking portfolio financials on a quarterly basis
- Track, measure and report on portfolio company impact metrics; e.g., jobs created, emission reductions, etc.
- Model structure and performance scenarios for new fund
- Support fundraising efforts including identifying prospects, developing “pitch” presentations, and managing investor communications
- Participates in special projects and events
- Contribute to Clean Energy Trust’s external communications efforts
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and to wear different hats
- Ability to collaborate with Clean Energy Trust’s staff, in particular those staff working directly with portfolio companies
- Ability to ask questions, listen and build rapport with investment prospects, ecosystem stakeholders, end-market customers and other investors
- The ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial, self-starting, detail oriented and able to function well in a complex and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- The ideal candidate will have a passion for the mission of Clean Energy Trust and a commitment to supporting innovation, entrepreneurs and the world’s transition to a low-carbon and resource efficient economy.
- 2 years of experience in venture capital, private equity, investment banking, or consulting
- Understanding of venture capital and venture capital deal structures
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel, including financial modeling
- Proficiency analyzing term sheets and capitalization structures
- Prior experience working with startups preferred
- Understanding of the clean energy sector preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, Accounting, Business, Engineering, or related field required
About Clean Energy Trust
Founded in 2010, Clean Energy Trust is a nonprofit that supports early-stage cleantech entrepreneurs with direct investment, venture growth services, and ecosystem development. Clean Energy Trust invests in the entrepreneurs leading the clean technology revolution. We believe that helping to build profitable, scalable businesses in energy, water, and agtech is a powerful force to better the environment and tackle climate change.
We have developed a unique model to invest in promising technology and founders who otherwise might not be able to get off the ground. We refer to this model as our 501vc™ platform. We combine the best of the venture capital funding model with a mission-driven non-profit organization. Through our Seed fund, we have invested in 23 companies across the Midwest. Learn more at cleanenergytrust.org.
Why Clean Energy Trust?
- Opportunity to participate in innovative approaches to solving early-stage cleantech investing challenges
- Help to address climate challenges through innovation and entrepreneurship
- Collaborate with an engaged team with a focus on executing the organization’s Mission
- Competitive salary and excellent benefits
- Optimal location in downtown Chicago
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- General office setting, extensive telephone and desk work at computer terminal
- Will work in a close multidisciplinary team environment
- May interface with clients in various settings
- Some travel required (10-20%)
|Please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com|